Friday, September 21, 2018


Cooler temperatures are bringing a higher call volume of requests to burn those debris piles around the house.   Here's a guideline of the current state of burning availability in Washington and Yamhill Counties as of Fri., Sept. 21:

BACKYARD BURNING IS STILL NOT ALLOWED!  If you have a pile of branches stacking up waiting to be burned, you'll have to wait another week and a half to be able to burn those.  Both Washington and Yamhill Counties don't plan to open up backyard burning until October 1st. 

AGRICULTURAL BURNING IS ALLOWED!  Some people get confused about the difference between backyard burning and agricultural burning.  Agricultural burning is limited to genuine agricultural waste.  Agricultural waste is material generated by an agricultural operation that uses land primarily for the purpose of obtaining a profit in money by raising, harvesting and selling crops or raising and selling animals (including poultry), or the products of animal husbandry. 

MATERIALS THAT CAN NOT BE BURNED - regardless of backyard burning or agricultural burning, the follow items are things are prohibited anytime or anywhere in Oregon:
  • Rubber and plastic products
  • Tires
  • Wet garbage
  • Petroleum and petroleum-treated materials
  • ashphalt or industrial waste
  • any material that creates dense smoke or noxious odors
DO YOU LIVE WITHIN THE OREGON DEPARTMENT OF FORESTRY PROTECTION DISTRICT?   If you live within the protection district of the Oregon Department of Forestry, burning during fire season in only allowed by a burn permit.  To obtain a burn permit, call the Forest Grove Oregon Department of Forestry Dispatch Office at 503-359-7424 and ask for your burn pile to be inspected by a forest officer for safe burning precautions before a permit can be issued.

Don't risk a fine!  Always check with your local fire department or protection agency before burning.